Tuesday, August 20, 2013

what's in my makeup bag



I've flirted with the idea of doing one of these posts for a while but it always seemed kind of silly since I don't really wear anything fancy. My makeup is all from the drugstore and I hardly ever experiment. Except for lipstick and nail polish, which tend to lure me into their trap when I'm passing by the makeup section at Walgreens on my way to pick up milk, I've been buying the same old products for years.

I always start off with under-eye concealer. I started using this one only a few months ago, but it's the same shade I've always used... this just comes in a fancy little bottle with an applicator brush at the top. It's Maybelline Instant Age Rewind concealer in Fair. Then I apply Cover Girl "french vanilla" eyeshadow to my whole eyelids. I used to use bright white when I was going for a really mod look but I've toned it down recently and I like this a lot better! I pencil my lower eyelid rim (is that even what it's called?) with Rimmel waterproof kohl eyeliner in "nude." I swear by this stuff, it makes my eyes look so much more awake!

Then comes my favorite part -- eye liner! *cue cheers and applause* I really love eye liner. I use Maybelline Ultra Liner waterproof black liquid liner. I love the brush that comes with it, it goes on really smooth, it dries really fast, and it stays put all day. I'll be heartbroken if this is ever discontinued! After eyeliner I put on a little mascara. Just enough so my eyelashes are black... I don't really like them to be too long or it distracts from my eyeliner and rubs against my glasses when I blink, lol. I use Maybelline Mega Plush Volum' Express in 'blackest black'.



Lipstick is the only area I really experiment with, though I still tend to stick with bright red and hot pink. Right now I'm using Rimmel Lasting Finish lipstick #110. I'm constantly on the lookout for "Mary Poppins red" --I've always thought Julie Andrews had THE perfect shade of red lipstick in the movie. This particular shade is the closest I've found *and* since it's a Kate Moss line, it has my name on the lipstick tube! I'm probably way more excited about that then I should be.

It's also really light. I hate lipsticks that make you feel like you have a coat of play-doh on your mouth. I can barely tell this is there. I usually put on some Burt's Bees grapefruit lip balm first so my lips don't get dried out from lipstick, and it usually does the trick :)



About 4 years ago I wore lipstick in public for the first time. I can remember the day so vividly! I went to Target with my mom and grandmom. Halfway through our shopping trip I used a tissue to wipe it off. Even though I loved the way it looked, I felt like I was standing out too much.

Now it's part of my daily makeup routine. It's funny how something as seemingly minor as putting on lipstick was such a challenge for me a few years ago. I'm so happy that I've gotten to a point where I'm comfortable being myself, wearing what I like, and putting on lipstick in the brightest shade of red I can find.

ps. my makeup bag is from forever 21 & my glasses are c/o firmoo